I married into an Italian family. My husband’s family is very traditional and they have huge pasta nights at their house all the time. They even have a secret family recipe that has been passed down to us!
Obviously I can’t share the secret sauce recipe with you 😉 But I can share some awesome recipes – like this seitan chick’n bolognese – which is amazing with any sauce recipe!
WTH is Seitan?
I want to talk a little about seitan first. Seitan is a very popular vegan alternative to meat that is super high in protein and can be seasoned to create any flavor.
There are 23 grams of protein per each 30 gram serving, which is ridiculous! A lot of bodybuilders and weight lifters add seitan to their vegan diets to reach their fitness and aesthetic goals.
The main ingredient is vital wheat gluten (which some people are sensitive to – but if you’re not sensitive then you should eat more seitan! I’ll talk more about this in another post). This ingredient can be found in the baking section at most grocery stores.
I love using Bob’s Red Mill vital wheat gluten when I feel like making my own seitan. It’s super easy to make yourself too! Homemade seitan recipe to come – creating a Thanksgiving/holiday recipe which I’m super excited about!
There are tons of other seitan products on the market that are easy throw into your fav recipes. My new obsession is Upton’s Naturals! (found at Whole Foods)
The flavor of this Chick Seitan is on point! All you have to do for this recipe is chop or crumble the meaty food into your favorite red sauce and heat. I also threw in some onions, garlic and green bell peppers for some extra flavor and textures.
Since setian already contains gluten, I recommend using a gluten free pasta like quinoa, chickpea or lentil based. I used quinoa pasta for this recipe.
Make sure to check out my Vegan Parmesan to complete this recipe! It’s only 3 ingredients and make the perfect topping to any italian style meal.
Seitan Bolognese with Vegan Parmesan
Chicken bolognese is easy to make vegan with Upton’s Naturals high protein Seitan!
- 8 oz Chick Seitan
- 12 oz Pasta (gluten free)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 25-30 oz Marinera Sauce
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 handful Fresh Basil (chopped)
- pinch oregeno
- pinch black pepper
- pinch salt
- Chop onion, garlic and green bell pepper; in a large saucepan, sauté them in some veggie broth over medium heat until they are soft and fragrant
- In a separate pot, boil the water for the pasta and cook according to the package
- While the pasta is cooking, add the marinara sauce to the veggies along with the chick seitan, chopped basil and spices; simmer
- When the noodles are done cooking, drain and combine with the sauce. Mix carefully to make sure not to damage the pasta (gluten free noodles can be quite soft)
- Plate your dish! Scoop your desired amount into a pasta bowl and top with the vegan parmesan from this post!
This should keep in the fridge for about 3 days in a sealed airtight container, glass is always best!
Join the Earthling Tribe!
Come on board to receive access to my FREE resource library (just download anything you want, anytime), plus recipes, workouts, giveaways, and more!