Happy Blogmas Beautiful Souls!
Welcome back to the 25 days of Blogmas 2017 – Day 16!
During the holiday season this year, and in the spirit of giving, Educating Earthlings is rolling out a huge Blogmas Giveaway focusing on wellness and vegan lifestyle!
Blogmas is an internet holiday where bloggers and YouTubers (vlogmas) create holiday content or blog daily. Most of us even host giveaways! I’ve hopped on the wagon this year and am so excited to be offering a HUGE Blogmas Giveaway Bundle for you beautiful humans! Use the button below (or click here) to enter the giveaway – good luck!
On to the recipe!
I love donuts just as much as the next human, but they can seriously come with some baggage (like sluggish feelings and possible acne). This homemade recipe is super easy and actually contains all healthy ingredients!
To make this recipe gluten-free just make sure to use gluten-free oats!
Homemade Cake Donuts
Making donuts at home sounds pretty intimidating. I know that I was unsure about where to even begin! After browsing Pinterest, I discovered that cake donuts were probably the best option for ‘veganizing’ a recipe 🙂
I used these Silicone Donut Baking ‘Pans’ from Amazon for this recipe and they worked perfectly! I love how easily the donuts were to remove from the pans when they were finished cooling. Also, they are dishwasher safe, SCORE!
Making these Oil-Free!
I’ve been experimenting with different ways to make recipes oil free. Oil simply is not healthy. Yes, even if it’s unrefined or cold pressed. Oil is a concentrated form of fat that is extracted from a whole food. It is high in calories and with excess use can lead to weight gain.
Baking: Coconut butter is the best for baking, almond butter also works quite well in some recipes. Nut butter still contains the natural oils from the nuts as well as all the rest of the whole food making is much easier for our bodies to digest!
Cooking: Vegetable broth is best for cooking. It will give your sauté a little flavor and keep them from burning. The trick is to continue to add a little at a time to the pan as needed so the veggies (or tofu or whatever you’re cooking) don’t dry out.
Make sure to tag me on Instagram if you try these! 🙂 Scroll down to pin for later.
Cinnamon Cake Donuts (healthy)
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 12 Donuts||Total:|
Make your own oil free, gluten free & vegan donuts - perfect for the holidays & a healthy breakfast!
- DONUT BATTER
- 2 1/4 cup Quick Oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1/2 cup Cane Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Flaxmeal + 3 Tbsp Water)
- 3 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Butter (melted)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- CINNAMON GLAZE FROSTING
- Coconut Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- In a medium bowl mix the flax egg and let sit in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes to thicken into a gel-like substance.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF
- Place the oats in a blender or food processor and blend into a fine flour
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder to the blender or food processor - pulse to combine
- Add the almond milk, vanilla and melted coconut butter to the bowl with the flax egg and stir well
- Pour the wet ingredient into the blender or food processor and blend on high until a batter has formed - you may need to stop and scrape down the sides a couple times
- Place silicone your donut 'pans' onto a flat baking sheet & use a little coconut oil spray so nothing sticks
- Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 donut spaces & bake for 25-35 minutes depending on your oven.
- To make the cinnamon glaze just melt the coconut butter and stir in the sugar and cinnamon - glaze the donuts by dipping them into the mixture and allowing the coconut butter to harden for a couple minutes - only glaze the donuts once they are cooled completely.
Stays fresh for about 3 days on the counter in an airtight container. Keeps a little longer in the fridge.
START EATING MORE PLANTS!
If diving into that vegan lifestyle isn’t what you’re ready for yet, that’s okay! It took me 6 months to finally commit to veganism – now I can never see myself going back! Everyone’s transition is a little different; some go overnight and others take years!
Are you ready to start your transition process to a plant based-diet right now? Check out my Vegan Starter Guide: The Plant-Based Difference! Now available for instant download! Make sure you subscribe and check your email so that you can get your 5% off code! 🙂
THANKS FOR BEING PRESENT WITH ME FOR ANOTHER BLOGMAS POST! DON’T FORGET TO ENTER THE BLOGMAS GIVEAWAY USING THE FORM ABOVE!