Banana bread was always something that my mom made when I was a child. I loved helping her with all the ingredients and watching those loaves bake in the oven.
But, each slice was filled with processed sugar, eggs and milk. Definitely not something I would consume anymore. This recipe is 100% (processed) sugar free and vegan!
Sugar VS. Processed Sugar
Carbs are made up of two things, fiber and sugar. When a food contains carbs, you will always have fiber, sugar, or a balance of both. Sugar is able to metabolize quickly to give you a burst of energy. Fiber metabolizes slower and helps to keep you full longer.
Naturally occuring sugar in foods (fruits are a great example) is actually quite healthy for your body. This recipe includes natural sugars that come from dates, bananas, and maple syrup. There is no processed sugar at all!
Processed sugar, even something like organic cane sugar, isn’t healthy. Yes, there are better options like organic cane sugar or coconut sugar, but it still goes through an extensive process to become just sugar.
Processed Sugar Alternatives
Some alternatives to processed sugar is using other sweeteners when cooking. Here are some sweet ingredients that are healthy to use!
- Medjool Dates (make sure to take the pits out!)
- Stevia or Stevia extract (extract is great for drinks like coffee or tea)
- Ripe bananas (other ripe fruits will work too)
- Maple Syrup (this is a staple in my kitchen!)
When you can, eat foods without added sugar! It’s really nice to taste all the flavors the whole foods have to offer.
Your kitchen is about to smell SOOOOO good!
My mom’s banana bread traditionally didn’t have any extras in it. I’m talking about chocolate chips, walnuts, or other fruit chunks. It was just straight up sugary banana bread – which was amazing.
This recipe, however, I wanted to change things up a bit and add a little more texture in my life 😉
The chocolate chips used contain a small about of added sugar, so if you’re trying to stay processed sugar free, just leave them out. Here are the ones I used in this recipe. They are vegan and don’t give you a weird aftertaste like some other brands.
Also try adding walnuts! They are a healthy fat addition and also pack some great flavor and texture to the bread. If you’re not a nutty bread person, I feel you. Try using almond butter or peanut butter spread on a slice when it’s all finished!
Enjoy the recipe! & tag me on Instagram with your creations @educating.earthlings
Sugar Free Vegan Banana Bread
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 1 loaf||Total:|
Rich and delicious banana bread without any processed sugar!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plant based milk, unsweetened)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and use a little coconut oil on a 9x5 in bread pan
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, bananas, dates, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract into a blender of food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until everything is well combined. Add in the chocolate chip and walnuts if desired.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Test to see if the bread is cooked through by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean it's done! Otherwise add 5 more minutes at a time.
- Enjoy with some nut butter spread or with a cup of hot chocolate!
If your dates are dry then soak them in warm water for a few minutes.
PRIVATE COACHING & ONLINE WORKSHOPS
IN MY PRIVATE COACHING PROGRAMS WE WILL WORK TOGETHER TO DETERMINE YOUR UNIQUE ENERGETICS AND CREATE A PROGRAM THAT BEST FITS YOUR NEEDS. OR ENROLL IN AN ONLINE WORKSHOP THAT’S GUIDED BY ME, YOUR COACH.[foundry_call_to_action_block url="https://educating-earthlings.com/educating-you/" button_text="learn more"]